Fairfax Cryobank ID Option Donor Program
Not all ID Donor Programs were Created Equally!
Features of the ID Option Donor program at Fairfax Cryobank
Instructions and information for ordering ID Option Donor semen including the required informed consent
Birth Registration Form (to be completed after your child is born)
Children conceived by donor insemination may want to learn more about their donors as a way of exploring more about themselves. Providing offspring with the option to contact their donor when they reach adulthood can be an important factor in realizing that goal.
In response to requests from patients, we are pleased to offer the ID Option program on a select group of donors. These donors are designated by ‘ID Option’ under the donor number on the donor search.
Our anonymous donor program and ID Option Donor program are distinct; our anonymous donors will not be allowed to become ID donors, but the ID Option donor may be used as either an ID donor or an anonymous donor.
ID Option sperm donors are sperm donors who agree to be contacted by offspring who were conceived with their samples. This is after the offspring reach the age of 18. Fairfax Cryobank offers ID Option donors: donors who have signed a contract with us that they agree to have contact information shared with the offspring when the offspring reaches the age of 18.
Other sperm banks have ID programs and may not release donor names and contact information. Here are the questions you need to ask when selecting an ID donor at a sperm bank:
1. Will my donor's identity and contact information be released when my child turns 18 years old?
2. Does the donor have the option to change his mind later in life (about being an ID Option donor)?
3. Will you provide my child with the donor's contact information when my child contacts you or do you mediate contact with the donor?
4. What specific information will my child receive when he/she contacts you?
Fairfax Cryobank answers those questions:
1. Fairfax Cryobank will release the donor's contact information provided to us by the donor to a child from that donor's sperm once the child turns 18 years of age (as long as the child's birth was registered using our Birth Registration Form).
2. Once a donor opts to become an ID Option donor, our contract states he will remain an ID Option donor and have his contact information released to any of his adult offspring.
3. Fairfax Cryobank believes that offspring should be given the opportunity to contact an ID Option donor him or herself; therefore, we will release the donor's contact information to the adult offspring (as long as the child's birth was registered), we do not mediate contact. The contract between Fairfax Cryobank and the ID Option donor provides for this.
4. When your child turns 18 years of age, Fairfax Cryobank will release the donor's full name, date of birth, last known telephone number(s), email address, physical address, and other contact information that the donor previously agreed to release and previously provided to Fairfax Cryobank. We ask the ID Option donor to update his contact information on a yearly basis.
Other sperm banks may state that they have ID Option donors; however, they may either make the sharing of information voluntary on the part of the donor when the time comes, or they will interact with the donor on the offspring's behalf and not release his name and contact information. Offspring could call one of these other sperm banks at the age of 18 and not receive the donor's name and/or contact information.
ID Option donors agree to allow Fairfax Cryobank to share contact information with any registered offspring, 18 or older, conceived by donor insemination with their semen specimen.Adult registered offspring will be the ONLY individual(s) with the authority to request contact information and to have access to the contact information.
Contact information is defined as the ID Option Donor’s full name, date of birth, last known telephone numbers and addresses.
Patients agree to sign a consent and return an ID Option Patient Agreement (link to the consent form below) at least one business day prior to purchase and/or shipment. Once an offspring conceived by an ID Option Donor is born, parents may choose whether or not to register their child. Some parents wish to wait to register their child until their family situation more clearly dictates if it is what they want. To see what is involved, see the Identity (ID) Option Birth Registration Form which is completed after your child is born. As with our anonymous donors, ID Option Donors will have no legal relationship, rights or obligations to any offspring born using their donated semen.
Parents, offspring and Donors understand that the ID Option program is not intended to create family relationships between the ID Options Donor and their offspring. Yet the opportunity to one day contact their donor offers an empowering choice that offspring can now make once they reach adulthood.
Make sure that the donor you wish to purchase is designated as an ‘ID Option’ donor on the donor search.
ID Option Donor availability is limited, and subject to change at any time.
Patients must first read this entire list of instructions and then download or review and sign our electronic copy of the consent form at the bottom of this page; the consent form must be completed and returned by mail, fax, scanned and emailed or via electronic signature (addresses, fax and email address are noted on the last page of the form).
Orders must ship out within 30 days or be placed into storage.
By downloading this consent form I accept the conditions stated above.
Download it here: ID Option Agreement
Our goal is to provide the highest quality donor semen with the exceptional customer service you expect from us. We look forward to being of service to you.