Countdown to Trying to Conceive
Blog written by Laboratory Staff JM
Trying to conceive (TTC on all those forums and message boards), whether you’re trying by insemination, IVF, or the old-fashioned way, can be an exciting and overwhelming process. All sorts of thoughts are going through your head, like “will I/we conceive right away?” or “I hope it’s a boy/girl” or “we’ve been trying for so long, I hope it works this time”. Though this can be a stressful time, there are some things you can do in the months and weeks before trying to conceive that will help get your body and mind ready!
1. Consider having a preconception consultation with your doctor.
2. Take prenatal vitamins with a sufficient amount of folic acid BEFORE trying to conceive, and then throughout your pregnancy. Folic acid helps prevent certain birth defects!
3. Get into shape! Being at your ideal weight can make it easier to conceive. Check with your physician to tailor a fitness routine to your personal needs.
4. Evaluate your lifestyle. Making changes such as quitting smoking and avoiding alcohol can improve your chances of conceiving, and, if you’re successful, improve your baby’s health outlook!
5. Make time for you! Keep a positive attitude and do things that help you relax. Stress can reduce your chances of getting pregnant. So, relax!
A healthy body and mind can increase your chances of getting pregnant.
“Chance favors the prepared mind.” Louis Pasteur