Fairfax Cryobank Provides Donated Human Biological Samples
All donors have consented to the use of their semen for research purposes; however, they cannot be used for the following types of research:
Fairfax Cryobank provides donated human biological samples for various types of research purposes including DNA testing. All donors are screened for a minimum of HIV, and hepatitis, and syphilis and found to be negative prior to producing the samples.
- Stem cell research
- Creation of embryos for stem cells or embryo research projects
- In vitro fertilization of oocytes
- Insemination purposes for the creation of a pregnancy
Samples can be used for the following types of research:
- Source of DNA for research purposes
- Forensic testing laboratories or proficiency testing for the forensic industry
- Fertility clinics for media testing
Contact us directly to see if your research study would qualify.
Semen Sample Packaging
Pre-frozen samples are packaged in 1ml plastic vials containing 0.5 ml/vial and a minimum of 60 million cells. Vials are labeled with donor number/production date/vial #/production lab code. Frozen samples are available with or without seminal plasma. Choose from the 2 preparation types below:
- ICI prep = containing the neat (raw semen) sample plus cryoprotectant (glycerol)
- IUI prep = seminal plasma removed prior to freezing and sperm cells suspended in a buffer solution plus cryoprotectant (glycerol)
- Samples used for media testing will have 10 million total motile cells/vial if thawed properly
Sperm Vial Ordering Logistics
Pre-frozen vials are available immediately, whether the samples are from a single donor over time or multiple donors.
For orders requesting matching semen and blood from the same donor, vials are available upon request and must be pre-ordered. In addition, frozen pooled (multiple donors) semen without cryoprotectant must be pre-ordered as well. These two request types are priced/ml separately.
Price for research semen vials is available upon request. Fairfax Cryobank accepts money order, credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover), and PO by request only. Vials must be pre-paid prior to shipment.
Depending on your location, local pickup may be available. All other research vials will be shipped in liquid nitrogen vapor tank or on dry ice. NOTE: Liquid nitrogen tanks must be returned to Fairfax Cryobank within 5 days of receipt.