It is essential to have a comprehensive understanding of genetic conditions and genetic inheritance in order to provide the best possible donor screening for inherited conditions. Fairfax Cryobank provides the expertise of board-certified clinical geneticists in evaluation of the donor’s medical and family history as well as reviewing the test results of the extensive genetic screening performed on all sperm donor applicants. Any applicant with a family history that places him at higher than normal risk of transmitting a genetic condition is rejected.
New: Donors screened for Expanded Genetic Disease Testing are now available
- Chromosome Analysis (karyotype)
- Cystic Fibrosis (at least 86 mutations)
- Now by gene sequencing since January 2017
- Hemoglobin Electrophoresis (Fairfax Cryobank currently screens all donors regardless of ethnicity for the presence of both hemoglobin S and C trait and Beta Thalassemia.)
- Beta Thalassemia by gene sequencing since January 2017
- Alpha Thalassemia by genotyping since 2015
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). Donors with SMA testing are indicated on their medical profiles as being tested.
- All diseases listed below for all donors by gene sequencing since January 2017
- Specific diseases for each donor are listed on their medical profiles
Donor of Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry
- Tay Sachs disease
- Canavan disease
- Gaucher disease
- Bloom syndrome
- Fanconi-Amemia Type-C
- Niemann-Pick Type A
- Mucolipidosis Type IV
- Familial Dysautonomia
Also added after 2010:
- Maple Syrup Urine Type 1B and Type 3
- Familial Hyperinsulinism Type 1 ABCC8 related
- Usher Syndrome Type-IF and Type-III
- Glycogen Storage Disease Type-1A
- Joubert Syndrome
- Walker Warburg Syndrome
- Nemaline Myopathy NEB related
Donors of French Canadian Ancestry:
- Tay Sachs disease (upgraded to gene sequencing January 2017)
Donors of Asian, Middle Eastern or Mediterranean Ancestry:
- Beta Thalassemia by hemoglobin electrophoresis
- Gene sequencing added January 2017
- Alpha Thalassemia by hemoglobin electrophoresis
- Genotyping added in 2015
Donors of African, Black American Ancestry:
- Sickle Cell disease and other hemoglobinopathies
- Sickle Cell by gene sequencing since January 2017
- Fairfax Cryobank currently screens all donors regardless of ethnicity for the presence of both hemoglobin S and C trait.
Are you a carrier of a genetic disease and need a donor that has been tested negative for the same disease? We offer special testing on donors. Please contact our genetic counselor to coordinate testing at 800-338-8407.
See a Sperm Bank Comparison, where Fairfax Cryobank is compared to other sperm banks.