Not All ID Donor Programs Were Created Equally
Learn more about the ID Sperm Donor Program
Blog written by Manager of Client Services CC
ID sperm donors are sperm donors who agree to be contacted by offspring who were conceived with their samples. Usually this is after the offspring reach the age of 18.
Fairfax Cryobank offers ID donors: donors who have signed a contract with us that they agree to have identifying information shared with the offspring when the offspring reaches the age of 18.
Most sperm banks have programs for ID donors, and these programs vary between the various banks. Therefore, if finding an ID donor is crucial in your decision-making process, it is imperative that you research the programs at the different sperm banks and, most importantly, ask questions! Before you purchase an ID donor, be sure to have all of your questions answered so you your child does not run into any difficulties later when attempting to contact the donor.
Questions to ask?
1. Will my donor’s identity and contact information be released when my child turns 18 years old?
2. Does the donor have the option to change his mind later in life (about being an ID donor)?
3. Will you provide my child with the donor’s contact information when my child contacts you or do you mediate contact with the donor?
4. What specific information will my child receive when he/she contacts you?
Fairfax Cryobank answers those questions!
1. Fairfax Cryobank will release the donor’s contact information to a child of that donor once the child turns 18 years of age (as long as the child’s birth was registered using our Birth Registration Form)
2. Once a donor opts to become an ID donor, he will honor that contract until the end. In other words, once he becomes an ID donor, he will remain an ID donor infinitely.
3. Fairfax Cryobank believes that the child should be given the opportunity to contact the donor him or herself; therefore, we will release the donor’s contact information to the child (as long as the child’s birth was registered), we do not mediate contact.
4. When your child turns 18 years of age, Fairfax Cryobank will release the donor’s full name, date of birth, last known telephone number(s), email address, physical address, and other personally identifying information that the donor previously agreed to release.
Other sperm banks may state that they have ID donors; however, they may either make the sharing of information voluntary on the part of the donor when the time comes, or they will mediate the interaction between the donor and offspring to protect the donor’s identity. Offspring could call one of these other sperm banks at the age of 18 and not receive the donor’s name and/or contact information.
To read more about Fairfax Cryobank’s ID donor program, click here. Also, if you ever have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact Client Services at 800-338-8407.
Leave a Reply